Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Amanda Wilson - A "Big"

As I sit here on the last day of camp I hold back tears, it is amazing what this program has done for me. An only child from Brooklyn New York, being on my own at college didn’t faze me at all in the sibling arena. I felt no ties to a program called Big Brothers Big Sisters, had no desire to retire my Saturday afternoons. The children running through the cafeteria at noon had no reason to look my way and I had no reason to look theirs. But one day when a mentor told me of his story and how touched he was by the program, naturally my interest was sparked. But I’ll tell you something, you can talk of the hardship our kids experience, of how much we mean to them, of how great this program is until you are blue in the face but it means nothing until a Little, your Little, looks into your eyes with the joy, hope and care that Shawn Stephan Benjamin Jr. gave me upon our first encounter. Man I love that boy. In three years he has shown me love, hope, frustration, worry, fear, and euphoria in a way that nothing but having a younger sibling could.
Photobucket
Our bond is unbreakable, there is no distinction between the program and my blood at this point, this boy is my family. He has taught me how to discipline with love and joke with ration and to just get wild and crazy without concern. And while I know that his home life can get a bit crazy since his parents just separated I know that his four hours with me will be blissful. We will explore and conquer Albany, make television worthy creations in the cafeteria and just laugh and play from the moment he runs off the school bus into my arms until 4:00 when it is time to go home again. For some Bigs it ends there, when the school buses pull off, but not for us. I call him during the week and visit the Benjamin home when I have time. We exchange Christmas gifts and call for the major holidays; Shawn is a staple in my life. When I considered transferring in both my freshman and sophomore year he was a major reason for me staying. I know that if all I do is wake up and be on time and alert, I can be something stable in his life. He can always count on me and it is so moving to be able do that for a child; to be his hope and his promise. I am indebted to Jim for giving me something I thought I could never have, a little brother who I can advise, protect and just smother in love. When I graduate Shawn will be 10 years old. It is unbelievable that he was only 6 when we first met that day in St. Cashmir’s, he hugged me straight away and I melted.
Photobucket
This summer as the computer counselor at the mentoring program’s summer camp I got the opportunity to learn each of our kids’ names and incredible personalities. Perhaps the most rewarding job I have ever taken on it has changed me for life. Children with minimal to no computer skills left my classroom completing PowerPoint presentations laden with pictures, videos and effects. These same children completed Excel Spreadsheets making budgets for the faux corporations I put them in charge of. After sending professional e-mails in regards to meeting times and places they put together a blog discussing what camp meant to them and while their words were short they spoke volumes, showing that they appreciated what we do so much. In just 6 weeks these children became both competent and confident in their own abilities and talents and to think that I had a hand it is mindboggling but so fulfilling.

The mentoring program is a true representation of the Franciscan spirit. We mentors become selfless giving what we can to secure some happiness in the lives of these marvelous children. I thank God that I am able to be a part of it and for people as big hearted as Jim Snyder. Sacrificing for 43 years he makes my 3 look miniscule but he and this remarkable program will always inspire me to give myself in both service and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment